The grande dame of St. Pete Beach marks 90 years of sophisticated glamor on Jan. 16. Welcoming guests since 1928, the legendary Don CeSar’ s 277-room (plus 36 suites) landmark hotel will celebrate all year with a series of commemorative goods and events that include a black-tie gala and limited-edition luxury goods.
Jan. 19 -The 90th Anniversary Grand Gala: On Friday, January 19, 2018 The Don CeSar presents its 90 th Anniversary Gala with a soirée in the elegant King Charles Ballroom from 7-11 p.m. serving opulent hors’ d’oeuvres from Executive Chef Mike Molloy, an open bar and entertainment from the Z Street Speakeasy Band. Click here for tickets; $175/person (plus tax and gratuity).
Take Home A Memory: In addition to special commemorative drinks, you can purchase something “Don Cesar pink” from the gift store including:
- 90th Anniversary Coffee Table Book ($64) – Produced by Grandin Hood Publishers, featuring archival photographs, memorabilia, the evolution of the hotel over nine decades of hospitality and much more.
- “I Dream of The Don” Nail Polish ($13) – In The Don CeSar’s unforgettable pink exterior hue, created in partnership with SpaRitual.
- Bourbon & Boweties bracelet ($40) – A custom pink-and- gold bangle bracelet with The Don CeSar’s signature silhouette, handcrafted by local jewelers in the Tampa Bay area.
- Bugatchi Men’s Accessories ($24.95-$79.50) – Men’s pink dress socks branded with The Don CeSar’s logo. Also available in The Don CeSar’s retail shops are pink enamel cufflinks from the luxury Italian menswear designer.
A Little History – Don CeSar: Since January 16, 1928, The Don CeSar has played host to the world’ s elite, stars of the silver screen, renowned authors and U.S. presidents such as F. Scott Fitzgerald, Ernest Hemingway, Franklin D. Roosevelt and Al Capone. A Gulf Coast icon, the hotel has starred in feature films including Robert De Niro’s “Once Upon a Time in America” and “Forever Mine” starring Ray Liotta. A true legend, The Don CeSar was named to the National Register of Historic Places in 1975 and was a founding member of the Historic Hotels of America in 1989.
In 2008, the year of its 80th anniversary, The Don CeSar opened its full-service Spa Oceana. In 2016, The Don CeSar launched Rowe Bar, a beachfront restaurant and lounge, and debuted an $8 million renovation to all 70 one-bedroom suites of sister property Beach House Suites by The Don CeSar located half a mile from the main property. Planned for January 2018 is a lobby renovation for Beach House Suites. Also planned for 2018 is a multi-phase renovation for The Don CeSar herself to include meeting and event spaces and common areas.
If You Go: The Don CeSar is reminiscent of a Mediterranean-style castle with its majestic pink exterior, historic grandeur and striking architectural design elements set upon the white sand beaches of the Gulf of Mexico in St. Pete Beach.
The Don CeSar also offers two deluxe heated pools, 22,000 sq. ft. of indoor function space, more than 16,000 sq. ft. of creative outdoor space, the 11,000 sq. ft. full-service Spa Oceana, fitness center, Camp CeSar Kids Camp, The Shoppes of The Don, and access to beach rentals and water sports.
The Don CeSar is a AAAA Four Diamond property, National Historic Landmark and member of the Historic Hotels of America and offers six on-site restaurants:
- The award-winning Maritana Grille, serving locally sourced, coastal cuisine.
- Sea Porch Café, open for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
- Uncle Andy’s Ice Cream Parlor, an old-fashioned ice cream shop.
- The Rowe Bar, where legendary hospitality meets the modern bar scene
- The Beachcomber Bar & Grill located poolside
- The Lobby Bar at the hotel’s epicenter.
(Photos courtesy of the Don CeSar Hotel website)