The grande dame of St. Pete Beach marks 90 years of sophisticated glamour this January with a gala Jan. 19th. Welcoming guests since 1928, the legendary Don CeSar’ s 277-room (plus 36 suites) landmark hotel is celebrating all year with a series of commemorative goods and events.
Whether your love is old or brand new, why not book a beautiful stay at the Don Cesar or a day at Spa Oceana? Although the Maritana Grille is the most romantic and offers a spectacular Valentine’s Day menu, what beats a sunset at The Rowe Bar overlooking the Gulf or a leisurely breakfast at The Sea Porch, a local Tampa Bay favorite.
Here’s two specials you want to book now for Valentine’s Day
Spa Oceana Couples Seaside Retreat (2 hours) Escape from the world and into one of Spa Oceana’s beautiful Gulf view seaside couples treatment suites. Healing waters infused with sea salts impart trace elements that relax tight muscles in a soaking tub for two. Next, drift away in side-by-side 60-minute Swedish massages followed by a 30-minute sole soother massage or 30-minute unwind scalp massage. Concludes with a celebratory glass of champagne. $230 per person
The Don CeSar – Valentine’s Day Package: Florida’s “Pink Palace” has a package for those who want to celebrate Valentine’s Day with lots of pink. The Don CeSar’s “Bubblies, Berries and Breakfast in Bed Package” offers couples three “B’s” of romance.
Bubbles, Berries and Breakfast in Bed Package at The Don CeSar
- Luxury King bed accommodations
- Chilled bottle of champagne and chocolate-covered strawberries upon arrival
- Breakfast in bed for two
- Available: February 14-15
- Booking Code: ROMANCE and Link to book
Take Home A Memory: In addition to special commemorative drinks, you can purchase something “Don Cesar pink” from the gift store including:
- 90th Anniversary Coffee Table Book ($64) – Produced by Grandin Hood Publishers, featuring archival photographs, memorabilia, the evolution of the hotel over nine decades of hospitality and much more.
- “I Dream of The Don” Nail Polish ($13) – In The Don CeSar’s unforgettable pink exterior hue, created in partnership with SpaRitual.
- Bourbon & Boweties bracelet ($40) – A custom pink-and- gold bangle bracelet with The Don CeSar’s signature silhouette, handcrafted by local jewelers in the Tampa Bay area.
- Bugatchi Men’s Accessories ($24.95-$79.50) – Men’s pink dress socks branded with The Don CeSar’s logo. Also available in The Don CeSar’s retail shops are pink enamel cufflinks from the luxury Italian menswear designer.
A Little History – Don CeSar: Since January 16, 1928, The Don CeSar has played host to the world’ s elite, stars of the silver screen, renowned authors and U.S. presidents such as F. Scott Fitzgerald, Ernest Hemingway, Franklin D. Roosevelt and Al Capone. A Gulf Coast icon, the hotel has starred in feature films including Robert De Niro’s “Once Upon a Time in America” and “Forever Mine” starring Ray Liotta. A true legend, The Don CeSar was named to the National Register of Historic Places in 1975 and was a founding member of the Historic Hotels of America in 1989.
In 2008, the year of its 80th anniversary, The Don CeSar opened its full-service Spa Oceana. In 2016, The Don CeSar launched Rowe Bar, a beachfront restaurant and lounge, and debuted an $8 million renovation to all 70 one-bedroom suites of sister property Beach House Suites by The Don CeSar located half a mile from the main property. Planned for January 2018 is a lobby renovation for Beach House Suites. Also planned for 2018 is a multi-phase renovation for The Don CeSar herself to include meeting and event spaces and common areas.
If You Go: The Don CeSar is reminiscent of a Mediterranean-style castle with its majestic pink exterior, historic grandeur and striking architectural design elements set upon the white sand beaches of the Gulf of Mexico in St. Pete Beach.
The Don CeSar also offers two deluxe heated pools, 22,000 sq. ft. of indoor function space, more than 16,000 sq. ft. of creative outdoor space, the 11,000 sq. ft. full-service Spa Oceana, fitness center, Camp CeSar Kids Camp, The Shoppes of The Don, and access to beach rentals and water sports.
The Don CeSar is a AAAA Four Diamond property, National Historic Landmark and member of the Historic Hotels of America and offers six on-site restaurants:
ABOUT MARITANA GRILLE: The award-winning Maritana Grille is a savory dining experience with locally sourced, coastal cuisine and traditional contemporary favorites prepared with a creative twist including the Crab Cake with harissa aioli, jicama slaw, and charred lemon,Hand Cut Pappardelle with charred tomato, asparagus and mushroom, and Diver Scallops with sweet pea emulsion, melted leek, royal trumpet mushroom and citrus gastrique. The menu is accented with an extensive wine list and a stunning setting graced by dazzling saltwater aquariums. Group dining is available at The Chef’s Table or in the Private Dining Room. Maritana Grille is open 5:30 – 10 p.m. Sundaythrough Thursday and 5:30 – 11 p.m. Friday and Saturday.
OTHER DINING VENUES
- Sea Porch Café, open for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
- Uncle Andy’s Ice Cream Parlor, an old-fashioned ice cream shop.
- The Rowe Bar, where legendary hospitality meets the modern bar scene
- The Beachcomber Bar & Grill located poolside
- The Lobby Bar at the hotel’s epicenter.
(Photos courtesy of the Don CeSar Hotel website)